Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Drive

Thursday, December 4, 2008

I'm still behind posting, so this will be a quicky.

I left Camdenton on Saturday headed for Mesa, Arizona.

Maybe I'm getting dumber as I get older. I must have looked at the Fiesta Bowl Tennis Tournament link online at least a half dozen times. I put it on my calendar starting on December 4th (that would be today). Before the draws came out, I assumed I would have a first round match today at the earliest or tomorrow at the latest.

So I planned to have a nice leisurely drive from my dad's and get here late Tuesday giving me a chance to get out and exercise/hit on Wednesday and/or Thursday before playing.

However, when the draws were posted, I discovered I had a match first thing YESTERDAY morning.

So my leisurely drive from Missouri became a quick drive with little to report. It is straight and essentially flat and deserty. And cold.

I stopped for the night in Elk City, Oklahoma Saturday and in Gallup, New Mexico on Sunday and got here Monday morning.

I don't much like traveling that way, preferring to stop early and enjoy a relaxing afternoon and evening - maybe explore a little - and have time to catch up on work every traveling day.

But, oh, well.

I settled in here in at the Mesa Spirit RV Park, had a water pipe explode and had to spend Monday afternoon fixing that. Tuesday morning I tried to find a tennis game without any luck and had a lot of work to do in the afternoon.

Mesa Spirit is the biggest RV Park I've ever been to. I'm only guessing, but I'm guessing there are 500 spaces here. It is sparse in vegetation, but well maintained. There are at least 2 pools and 4 Jacuzzi's, a pool room with about 10 pool tables, various card rooms, a "social center" the size of a good sized high school gym or auditorium, a putting green, minature golf course, tennis court, exercise room and "muscle beach" outside exercise facility....and I'm not even sure what else. I haven't explored enough yet.

That's enough for now.

Tennis update next time.

No comments: