Friday, November 14, 2008

Tennis In Camdenton - At Last

Wednesday, Thursday - November 13 & 14

On both Wednesday and Thursday mornings I accompanied my dad to his physical therapy. He's working really hard to overcome the effects of his stroke. The doctores didn't expect him to walk or have any use of his left arm or hand after his stroke in April. With a lot of effort and a positive attitude on his part, he get's around very well, thank you very much. His left arm is getting pretty strong and two fingers on his left hand are getting their strength back.

It was with many mixed emotions that I watched him (and helped a little) struggle through his PT routine pushing himself to the max. It's paid off so far and I can only hope and pray that there is ongoing improvement.

After the physical therapy on both days my dad's wife, Char, and their dog, Toby, and I went for a nice long walk at one of the many state parks around here. Of course the forest is stark....the leaves are on the ground, not on the trees, and there is no one around. Quietly and starkly beutiful in it's on way. I'll provide some pictures in a later post.

Later in the day on Wednesday I got my Tennis Audition.

Honestly, I was figuring I wouldn't play tennis until the Fiesta Bowl Tournament in Scottsdale in December.

Last time I was here in Camdenton around this time of year 2 years ago, I searched for someone...anyone...to hit with.

No luck at all.

Here's what happened this time.

On Monday, while accompaniying the Marine Corps League to St. James, someone asked me how long I was staying here. I said until just after Thanksgiving when I had to head out for a Tennis Tournament in Scottsdale.

Mike, the driver, said, "Oh, my cousin has a son who's the best tennis player around these here parts."

I said, "How old is he?"

"13."

"I'd love to hit with him," I said. I know a really good 13 year old is really good. And a pretty good 13 can be really good, too.

"Oh," said Mike. "I don't think that would work. He's really a good player and beats everyone around here, including all the adults. No one wants to play with him any more....he's too good."

My mouth was watering.

"That's OK," I said. "I'd just like the workout."

"Well, his father is pretty particular about who he plays with."

I didn't want to make a big issue out of it, so I let it drop at that point.

But as we were saying our goodbyes for the day, I said, "I'm serious about playing with the 13 year old. I'm pretty good and I might be able to give him at least a decent workout."

"I doubt his dad will want to have him do it," Mike said.

So I had to resort to my most aggressive tactics.

I pleaded, begged, grovelled, got down on my knees, and offered him a bribe. When all that failed, I cried. That worked.

Next day I got a call and set up an audition for myself. The Kid's dad is Bob. I told Bob I'd come over and he and The Kid could evaluate my play for 10 minutes and if they didn't think I'd be good for The Kid to hit with, I'd leave voluntarily and without incident.

I've never hit a tennis ball in an indoor court before, so I was eager to dust of my rackets and see if I could hit a ball in a giant room.

The Knolls "Condominium Resort" was the site. Nice place. 2 pretty nice indoor hard courts.

When I got there on Wednesday, The Kid and Bob had been hitting for a time.

I strapped on all of my orthopedic paraphanalia that holds my various joints together and supports all the sore, strained, and just plain weak muscles and ventured out on the court.

The Kid is Jake. He's actually 14 and quite a good player. This isn't Sourthern California where there are no lack of good players for other good players to work out with. Here, it's not the same. Jake has a real hard time finding a good workout without a trip to St. Louis or Kansas City....both about 3 hours away.

The bottom line is that we played for a couple of hours on Wednesday and again on Thursday. I couldn't have been happier and I think he had some fun, too. He hits the ball a ton (as you'd expect from a good 14 year old boy) and had no problem with my serves or best shots.

Jake & Family

Bob - Lisa - Jake

Jake
I believe Jake said he was ranked 2nd in the USTA Missouri Valley Section last year. I'll be following his career as he moves up the age groups and hope he continues to enjoy his tennis whereever it leads him.

And....more importantly....I hope Bob will call me again for more tennis with Jake.

No comments: