Monday, November 17, 2008

Dad & Char's Home

Sunday, November 16, 2008

I thought I'd show you around my Dad's property so you get the feel for where I am.

First, though, we had company on Saturday.

My dad's former business partner and best friend, Mike, stopped by to say hi. Since Mike was very generous in making contributions to the Marine Corps League, Dad set up a surprise luncheon to honor Mike at the Detachment Headquarters.

We told Mike we were going to take him to a new retaurant we had discovered where he'd get a one of a kind meal.

There were a good contingent of Marines and their wives at the building waiting to welcome Mike and thank him for his generosity. We had an array of cold cuts, bread, cheese and all the trimmings for do-it-yourslef sandwhiches.

Dad was proud to have his friend there and Mike is such a nice and personable guy, all the Marines were duly impressed, I'm sure.

The highlight of the whole deal, however, was that Mike was driving a tiny little Porsche and that was our transportation to lunch. There is a "backseat" about big enough for a 2 month old baby. I had to pretzel myself in there where there where 4 or 5 things (I don't know exactly what) jabbing me at all times. I still have welts and bruises from the drive. No matter how I moved, they wanted to follow me and stick me.

Then, getting dad in the miniscule front seat was a whole project in itself....with his Macular Degeneration so he can't really see much and his stroke so that his left arm and hand are quite weak and his left leg isn't a whole lot better, it was really something to see. Good thing we all had a sense of humor about it.

Mike finally realized that if he took the top off everything would be lots easier. However, it was in the high 20's on Saturday with snow flurries....so it was top down to load us all in, top up to drive over, top down to get out, top up to keep the cold and snow out during lunch, top down to load us up again, top up to drive back home, top down to get out, top up to keep the snow out....and then after a short visit at Dad's.....Mike left. I assume he could get in and out with the top up, But who knows?

Sunday me and Dad just hung with lots of football on TV as I was doing some work.

I took these shots on Sunday...very cold, but clear and nice.


Looking Out The Front Door Door



The Garage and Apartment Over Garage




Looking From The Garage To The House


Looking Out At The Lake From My Office (The Downstairs)



Looking At The Back Of The House


I am really out in the country here. The wireless Internet connection is terrible and very slow. Cell service is sketchy. But it is peaceful and right now beautiful in it's end of Fall starkness.

Plus, Dad and his wife, Char, love it. And that's really all that counts, isn't it?

No comments: