Friday, November 7, 2008
Last night, Thursday night, was, sadly, my last night at Standing Stone Ranch.
Maddy invited Shadow, her neighbor from across the street, over. "Across the street" means across State Route 382 and is about a mile away. Shadow is a another awesome dog and rode shot gun with me on the ATV trip, sitting on the back and never even slipping an inch. As did Maddy with Jim & Debbie. These are how dogs should be.
Shadow & Maddy
Debbie set a beautiful table and made an incredible meal, as always. She's as good in the kitchen as in the horse training corral and on the trail. Great meals all week. Confession: I came to Chromo at about 180 lbs and left at about 190. Many, if not most, of the dishes I ate during the week at Standing Stone included goodies that came straight from Debbie's garden. She has the greenest of green thumbs.
The Setting

Oh, yeah, Shadow's owners came along, too.
The Last Supper Guests
Joe, Diane, Jim, Debbie
You may recognize Diane. She and Shadow came along on our delightful houseback ride on Sunday. Her horse was Butters.
Joe is an EMT and Search and Rescue Mission Director and Diane is also a Search and Rescue Mission Director. They had incredible stories to tell about rescues. Last year they had 17 rescues. This year, so far, they have had over 30. Hikers, campers, snowmobilers, hunters, and others seems to be getting more and more idiotic when they go off for their weekends in the mountains.
These two fun and interesting people are responsible for saving many lives. We're lucky to have them and people like them. Lots of stress, lots of frustration and, in many cases, lots of rewards.
So, other than packing up and going, that was my week in Chromo.
Friday I got up, said my goodbyes, and headed out.
Goodbye, Leroy
Goodbye, Maddy

Goodbye, Standing Stone Ranch

Goodbye, Dear Friends

As the Ranch episode of my current adventure came to a close, I was extraordinarily grateful to have spent a whole week with 2 of my oldest and dearest friends. I can't say when I was alone with either or both of them last. Debbie, maybe never. Jim, other than in a work environment for a number of years, not since we were in high school together.
Not that we haven't been together plenty through the years since we met back in Junior High School (Debbie) and High School (Jim). For most of those years after college, our 2 families have been as 1. We have spent most holidays and many vacations togther....not to mention just day to day. I was in business with Jim for 6 or 8 years and our kids literally grew up together. And then, to make the family bond even more official, stronger, and even legal, Jim and Debbie's younger son married my older daughter.
So we've been around together a lot. But just me with just them....not so much. And, for me, at least, it was a very special time.
I cannot imagine what I could or would have changed to make my stay any better. It was perfect in every way.
For me, the physical work I got to do on the Ranch was a ton of fun. I was happy to be sharing it with Jim and sincerely hope I earned my room and board for the week. Plus, I learned a lot about Ranch life - irrigation rights and problems, the care of horses, wild animals around the area, hydro-electric power, oil & gas rights, and much, much more. Quite an education.
The excursions wouldn't have been nearly as fun nor meaningful without Jim & Debbie's vast knowledge of the area and, of course, Debbie's finger on the pulse of all Chromo personalities, drama, and local gossip.
And so, my dear old friends, I thank you from the bottom of my heart and the depth of my soul for an incredible, fun, educational, and meaningful week. I will always think of my visit to Standing Stone Ranch and the time I have the privilege to share with you this past week with the very best memories.
I am grateful that you are in my life and thank you for the visit and your freindship.
No comments:
Post a Comment